Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Change or Growth?

I have a question to pose - a wonderment to express. I read a comment this morning that got me thinking. The comment indicated that sometimes we have to change our minds on spiritual issues. The change seemed to refer not to growth but to a re-establishment of what we believe. The comment further suggested that changing our minds regarding our belief system is actually a good thing to happen to us, especially for those of us who appear firm in what we believe.

There are a few things that have been tossing around in my mind (and I'd love to hear your comments and opinions on all of these things!).

The first thought I had was this...do we change our minds or do we grow?

When we accept Christ, we are so immature in things of Scripture and of God. We have our ideas, but we still have so much to learn. Some of us accept that we have much to learn and far to grow while others of us believe for a time that our fire and passion set us in a league of wisdom that might supersede what is truly there.

Whatever the case may be, I can look back over my life and see how much I've grown. But, lately I have also looked back and realized that the seeds of what I know now were there years ago. My thoughts and ideas have grown and matured - and some of the peripheral philosophies have changed. But I see it more as growth than as a changing of my beliefs.

So, what do you think? What do you see as you look back over your life?

As I passed through the first thought, I then wondered what was truly good for us? Is it better to be growing or to change our minds?

It almost strikes me that someone who changes his mind as he learns is a bit undependable. Not that we can't change, but if we believe one thing one day and something else the next, how can we avoid confusing those to whom we minister? In doing so, are we truly preaching the gospel, or are we simply sharing our idea of the day?

Now don't get me wrong. I know we'll change as we grow. And, I've looked back over things I've shared with people in the past and thought, "Wow, if I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have said that in that way. I would have said this instead." That's not exactly what I'm talking about. What I'm referring to here is following after fads of thought rather than truly growing through spiritual discipleship.

Another thought...if there is someone you look up to spiritually but disagree with on certain points, do you really want that person to change his mind in your favor?

If I respect someone, I want to know they are sound in their beliefs. I want to watch them grow and mature, and I acknowledge that such growth will produce introduction of new thoughts and ideas as well as a maturation of what's already there. But, do I really want them to change? Change indicates moving in a new direction. If I respect someone spiritually, it's because I see them going in the right direction, and I see Christ and His truth being reflected in them. To see them change their minds...well, that would introduce a lot of confusion.

I know ultimately we must follow Christ, period. But, even Paul said, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ." (1 Cor 11:1 NASB) When I see someone who is a very obvious imitator of Christ, I don't want them to change their minds about foundational truths they exemplify!

The final thought was this...if you acknowledge that you see a solid Christian example in someone else yet want that person to consider the possibility that they need to change, what is the motive?

Sometimes we acknowledge that we're struggling with something but truly don't want to accept that we have to get ourselves right to end the struggling. We almost want others we respect to change their ideas in order to justify where we are. If they change, we don't have to, because we've already convinced ourselves that they are right in their belief system. And that would make life easier for us.

So, those are my thoughts - my very raw thoughts. Possibly over the next few days I will refine them, and maybe even "change my mind!" HA! But, I wanted to throw them out there anyway and see if any of you had thoughts.

1 comment:

Choate Family said...

I vote for growth over change, and I hope that I am willing and "soft" enough to grow.