Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Gift of Psalms

I wasn't sure what to expect as I began reading The Gift of Psalms:Devotional Wisdom from 50 of the Best Loved Psalms. What I found was refreshing. It is not an incredibly deep devotional. But, as I read each reading I found something that many modern devotionals lack. I found a true attempt to expound on each Psalm and then apply it to modern life. Author Lori Jones did not simply write her fluffy thoughts on each Psalm. Instead, she studied to discover the circumstances under which each Psalm was written so as to give the Psalms proper context. Then she shared her thoughts regarding how that context could translate into our modern lives. She followed each entry with a brief sample prayer to make the application even more personal.

Accompanying the book is the Psalms portion of The Word of Promise Old Testament Audio Bible. I am not a huge fan of audio presentations, but I do consider The Word of Promise presentation to be a well-made presentation.

If you are looking for an in-depth study of the Psalms, The Gift of Psalms is not the book to reach for. But, if you are seeking an encouraging devotional book to supplement a reading through the Psalms, I would recommend this book.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

I passed on this one. I've got more than enough devotionals in my house. :)