Thursday, April 30, 2009

We Need Help!

As I was browsing through the list of blog ideas that I've had but haven't had the time to post, I came across some notes I'd jotted down a couple of weeks ago on a Proverb I'd read.

The verse was this...

Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed. Prov 15:22 (NASB)

This verse really stood out to me because I so frequently do not follow this advice! There are many reasons for that. It might be that I am afraid someone will be hurt if I choose not to follow their advice. It might be that I just don't want too many hands in the kitchen. But, if I honestly and truthfully analyze why I don't seek help, I have to admit that it is because of pride.

I like to be the one who has the answers. I like to be the one that has great ideas. I like to be the one to give advice. But, I don't like to have to ask for those things from other people.

That obviously is very difficult to admit. It would be easy for me to ignore that tendency in myself and to deny that I really am that type of person. But, that would be a lie.

God gave us each other for a reason. There are many things I can do well, and I love to use those skills to help others. But, I also do readily admit that there are things I don't do well at all. I struggle with so many aspects of marriage, parenting, home schooling, and ministry. I need the help of others in those areas! I need their wisdom, their consultations, their suggestions. Sometimes their help will be useful to me and sometimes it won't, but God put other people in my life to help me learn, grow, and be able to accomplish the tasks He has set before me.

Lately I've been trying to be active about seeking help and advice from others. I've been trying to receive input more graciously. I've expanded my sources of consultation and counsel. And I've learned so much! I've been reminded of things I'd forgotten. I've been given new ideas that I can adapt to fit my family. And the best part is that I've been excited about it!

I don't have it all together! There, I said it openly and honestly! And proudly! :-) To all of you who have helped me so many times, thank you. To those of you who have given me suggestions that I have spurned, I apologize and seek your forgiveness. And from here on out, I look forward to growing alongside all of you, gleaning from your wisdom and strengths, and occasionally sharing some of my own! What a wonderful journey it can be!

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

Ann, I totally like being the one dispensing wisdom too [smile]. I feel ya!

But you are totally right: We can do so much more, so much better, if we lean on one another. I don't have it all together, and I love reading other's insights.

The blogosphere is just another place where we can see the body of Christ working together. May we do so in love and humility.

Great post!

~Luke

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Agreed :0)

Julie