Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Steadfast Mind

One of my desires is to have a focused mind. I spend so much time letting my mind flitter here and there while I'm washing dishes, folding clothes, sweeping the floor - even exercising and showering. It is so precious when I can use that time to pray and just interact with my Savior. I just fail at that so frequently.

But yesterday was precious. Perfectly precious. I started in the normal way - my mind flittering here and there. Then I stopped and asked the Lord to help my focus!! Isaiah 26:3 immediately flew into my mind. Such a beautiful verse.

The steadfast of mind...the steadfast of mind...

What followed was a beautiful interaction with my Savior as He showed Himself through everyday things. There was delight in listening to Steven play, intermingled with a few moments of stopping to squish his belly with my foot while he lay on the floor. There was sweetness in hearing the girls play down the hall. But, more beautifully, there was joy in folding laundry, a chore I usually hate. He kept whispering to my heart ways to pray for friends and loved ones. Ideas for blog posts flew into my mind, and I took a break now and then to go jot them in my planner. Scripture passages I'd committed to memory - or at least to familiarity - joined my thoughts and prayer at appropriate times.

If God states something in His Word, He means that it's true. He doesn't have to promise. He doesn't have to restate. It's just the way it is. He reminded me of that with Isaiah 26:3 by keeping me in perfect, beautiful peace yesterday.

Although today my mind has been much more occupied thanks to bill-pay day, interacting with the girls, and blogging, I still have been striving to maintain a steadfast mind. In fact, as I was getting a little antsy because I couldn't find a note pad I was seeking, he reminded me that my mind was not steadfast and therefore my peace was slipping. He nudged me to stop and redirect my mind to Him. I asked Him what He wanted me to be doing right then. When I redirected my focus to Him, the peace returned. I still haven't found the note pad, but I will when I really need it. Meanwhile, the afternoon has been so pleasant.

I wonder sometimes why I struggle. I wonder sometimes why it is that I can't even seem to focus in prayer some days. It's because I haven't established the habit of keeping a steadfast mind.

When I practice that daily, He is faithful, just like His Word says.

No comments: