Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Mom is Great!

No, this is not a post about my mother, although I really should write one such post. It isn't even about anything my kids said about me. It's just a thought brought about by a creative writing assignment.

Angela is learning the basics of organizing thoughts to prepare her for the time when she will begin writing paragraphs. She is given a topic and she has to write three things that support the topic.

Typically these topics revolve around favorite things - favorite colors, favorite friends, favorite drinks, etc. But, last week one of her topics was "My Mom is Great." I must confess, it felt a bit vain of me to write the topic on the whiteboard for her to develop. It was awkward. But, I did it anyway - I couldn't just skip the assignment!

At first, it was a little awkward for Angie, too. She wasn't sure what to say. But once, she got going, it began to run more smoothly. Her praise for my motherhood began to flow.

It made me think.

Sometimes I struggle with praise for my God. It has nothing to do with His greatness. It has to do with my tendency to not stop and pay attention to His greatness.

I wonder what would happen if in those moments I were to write my topic...

My God is great!

What if I were to then make my list? I have a feeling that, like Angie, I would begin to loosen. The praise would begin to flow. It just might be a good exercise to keep in mind!

It definitely makes not skipping the assignment a worthwhile decision!

No comments: