Thursday, January 14, 2010

Satisfaction

I have long loved Psalm 90:14. Just mull over these beautiful words for a moment...


O satisfy us in the morning with Your lovingkindness, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.


Does that not just make you want to sing simply by reading it? When I'm struggling – especially when it's 5:00 in the morning and I would really rather be curled up in bed than starting my day – I toss these words around in my mind and remind myself of His lovingkindness.


But, one morning recently, this verse was even more poignant than usual. Somehow the meaning of it just stood out more emphatically.


You see, last Wednesday morning, I was absolutely and utterly exhausted. We had already hit snooze and stayed in bed an hour longer than we should have, and it was still nigh unto impossible to get going. And then the Lord brought this verse back to my mind.


I began to think about my satisfaction. I felt unsatisfied with sleep. I hadn't had enough, apparently, and I felt as if I required much more to truly feel rested.


O satisfy us in the morning with your lovingkindness...


I was hungry and thought the only way I could get going was through a good breakfast.


O satisfy us in the morning with your lovingkindness...


I had a to-do list and felt that the only way to gain satisfaction for my day was to complete it.


O satisfy us in the morning with your lovingkindness...


...that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.


Wow. Yes, physically there are things that I need. That's life on this earth, and it will be that way until we meet our Savior for eternity. But, will meeting those physical needs ever truly satisfy?


Will more sleep satisfy if I haven't discovered how to find rest amid the chaos in the arms of my Savior?


Will food satisfy if I haven't nourished my soul with the Word of God?


Will checking off items on a to-do list satisfy if I haven't accomplished anything that matters for eternity?


O, Lord, please satisfy me today with me your lovingkindness that I may truly taste what real satisfaction is all about.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job on your blog.
God bless you.

Wren
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Journey_Back_in_Time