Every now and then I am blessed with a review book that will expand the reading options of my precious children. This week’s book falls into just such a category.
Horse Dreams by Dandi Daley Mackall is the first book in her new “Backyard Horses” series. Ellie James passionately loves horses and dreams constantly of the horse she would love to own. In her mind’s eye, she can see herself astride a black stallion of eye-catching beauty as she wins one competition after another. Unfortunately, her daydreaming also tends to get her in trouble at times when her mind should be focused in other places. And, when she catches sight of an ugly, dirty pinto in the schoolyard, no one believes that she’s not still just dreaming about horses again.
Horse Dreams is an easy book as far as reading skill is concerned, hitting somewhere along a second or third grade reading level. But, the content captured the attention of both of my girls, third and fifth graders typically reading well above their grade levels.
Here is Angela answering a few questions about the content of Horse Dreams.
The thing that stood out the most to me in the book, however, was the spiritual dimension. A simple but growing relationship with God is seen in both fourth grade Ellie and her second grade brother. When I asked Olivia what she thought about the book, I was delighted to hear that the spiritual components stood out prominently to her as well. Here’s what she has to say about Horse Dreams.
If the “Backyard Horses” series was simply another set of fiction books about horses, I might not bother with the rest of the series simply because my girls truly are beyond the reading level. But, because the storyline so beautifully shows how a simple and growing faith in God affects the day to day life of a young girl, I would love to have the entire series on my shelf as it comes available. I look forward to handing the book to my son and loaning out or suggesting it to other parents who are looking for a good book for their children.
No comments:
Post a Comment