Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Just Write

Remember the old Nike “Just Do It!” slogan? That’s how I’m feeling today. “Just write it, Ann!”

But what do I write?

I don’t care…just write. Every day.

It’s one of those disciplines. I’d say it’s like exercising, because I want the results of working those writing muscles just like I want the results of working the physical muscles.

But really, it’s more like practicing an instrument. You always know how to do it, but you get rusty when you don’t do it daily. And you miss its impact on your life. The calming influence it has. The connection it provides with your Creator.

Do you get what I mean?

When I was growing up, I could always tell when my dad had not had a chance to build something. He loves to work with wood. It’s his outlet. And when he goes a while without the chance to create something with his hands, it shows. His creativity, energy, and joy all wane.

I see the same with my husband and teaching. If he gets so buried in the administrative side of pastoring that he doesn’t have a chance to truly teach – an interactive type of teaching – his joy in ministry fades. He also enjoys writing and gets discouraged when he doesn’t have the opportunity to write. Then there’s cooking. And oh, is he ever good at cooking. He’s not the only one who misses it when he doesn’t have the chance to cook! 

If my oldest doesn’t get to play the piano or write, it shows.

If my middle child doesn’t get to draw, sew, or do needlework in some shape form or fashion, it shows.

If my youngest doesn’t get to create from paper or Legos or some other medium, it shows.

All of these things require regular practice to maintain – and progress – in the skills. But, they also provide a sort of natural therapy. They are an avenue of connection with the Creator who gave us these skills and desires. And I can’t help but think that we are disobedient if we don’t utilize and hone these skills while also embracing the doors they open in our hearts.

Yet how often do we consider ourselves selfish for setting aside the time to daily practice? We forget that through them we are actually connecting with our Creator, refreshing ourselves,  strengthening our talents, and equipping ourselves to truly minister.

What do you need to buckle down and do today?

No comments: