Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sibling Love

Late yesterday morning the sun came out after quite a few days of clouds and rain. The kids immediately flooded into the back yard for a long-awaited afternoon of outdoor play. I was in the kitchen making bread and watching them through the sliding glass door. They were playing together so well. I couldn't help but smile.

All I could think about was how much my kids really do love each other. Oh, they fight - pretty regularly, in fact. But, they absolutely adore each other. My girls have told me they would love to be twins just so they could do absolutely everything together. And, they dote on their little brother as much as any big sisters I know or could imagine. They adore him and he adores them.

When the three go their separate ways for class at church, the first thing they want when class is over is to find the other two. When one is alone, he or she can't wait for at least one of the other two to be free to play or read or interact in some way.

Oh, how they love each other!

In the New Testament, God calls Himself our Father. As I watched my three little darlings play, I couldn't help but wonder how God sees us when we interact with each other. Jesus said we are to come as little children. Scripture also calls us brothers and sisters in Christ. Can you imagine how our Father must feel when He sees us interact? Do we come together like siblings who truly love each other, despite our difference and occasional fights? Or do we distance ourselves like a teenage brother who doesn't want his kid sister hanging around?

It struck me that it's no wonder I long for and crave intimate communion with my brothers and sisters in Christ. There are some days I miss physically distant friends so much that it hurts. There are days when I feel like Steven, just waiting for his big sisters to be done with their chores so they can play with him. I just long for the interaction with my spiritual brothers and sisters.

I feel that way because that's the way I was made. There is nothing sweeter to this mama's heart than seeing my children love each other. My Father wants to see His children love each other too.

So, next time you're wanting that heart-to-heart talk, or that game of spades, or that shoulder to cry on, just remember you desire it because you were created for it. Your Father loves to see it. Come on, brothers and sisters! Let's enjoy one another!

1 comment:

Janna Barber said...

Nice thoughts Ann. It just goes to show that if/when we do take the initiative in those friendships, it is often well received. I take the fact that my kids love each other as evidence that I must be doing something right - ha ha!