Thursday, June 18, 2009

We Need Each Other!

I have been reading through the Proverbs every month for quite a while now. It's amazing, though, how my brain can just seem to skip over verses sometimes. This morning Proverbs 18:1 jumped out as if I'd never seen it before. Let me share it with you...

Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment. (ESV)

It's not that we isolate ourselves to seek our own desires - it is that when we isolate ourselves from one another, we are being selfish. Period. We're seeking after me, me, me, and we are only interested in what we want for ourselves. And, according to this verse, that is not sound judgment.

We live in an increasingly isolated society. But, oh how we need each other! We were created for fellowship, and when we pull away from that fellowship, we are not using sound judgment. We are unwise. We are selfish.

I can't survive without you, my friends. Whether you are blog friends who I never see face to face, old friends who are now separated from me geographically but are still treasured in my heart, or friends who share this geographic community such that I can see you face to face...I need you. I am thankful for you. And, I rely on you to give me a little wake-up smack if I start isolating myself from you.

How we need each other!

2 comments:

Queen Diva said...

It's so easy to isolate ourselves when we over-schedule our lives! Thanks for this insight - we do need each other!

Luke Holzmann said...

Thanks for sharing, Ann! I don't recall that verse either, but it's a good one to keep in mind. Good stuff.

~Luke