Friday, July 3, 2009

How Can I Run a Tight Ship When I'm Surrounded by Loose Cannons? by Kathi Macias

This review is going to be more personal than my usual book reviews, primarily because this book was very personal to me. (Feel free to hop over to Amazon for my more objective review of the book.)

Nearly seven years ago my husband and I moved into seminary housing. We were surrounded by other couples who were continuing their training for a wide array of ministry positions. I immediately wondered how I would ever fit in to this group. All around me were ladies who seemed to be able to keep their homes in order and their families in line while staying perfectly composed themselves. Although I was passionate about serving alongside my husband in ministry, I struggled with my own shortcomings, especially in my home. Three months after moving in, I became pregnant with our second child, a pregnancy that left me perpetually exhausted. Any organization I had established after moving in fell apart, and I was discouraged.

At some point I picked up a book that dealt with what it means to be a modern-day Proverbs 31 woman, and I became even more discouraged. My exhaustion intensified simply by reading about the necessity of maintaining an immaculate house and keeping myself occupied from dawn til long after dusk. I persevered and finished the book with good intentions, but by the end I was even more convinced that I could never truly be a Proverbs 31 woman. I just hoped I could be a decent pastor's wife anyway.

Over the years that mental image of perfection has remained for me each time I have read that particular chapter in Proverbs. Although I came to the point where I was no longer discouraged by the Proverbs 31 image, I was also convinced that I would never resemble her in any way. I had simply resigned myself to that "truth."

Then I received this book from Kathi Macias. Having thoroughly enjoyed her books My Son, John and Mothers of the Bible, I knew I was in for a treat with this most recent read. I didn't realize I was in for a total mental transformation.

As a young mother and new Christian, Kathi was determined to become a true Proverbs 31 woman. In order to do so properly, however, she felt she needed the perfect mentor. So, she set out with a mission - find a Proverbs 31 woman who would be willing and able to train her to follow the ways of this amazing biblical example. As she embarked on this journey, however, what she found greatly surprised her - and encouraged me.

Kathi learned that being a Proverbs 31 woman does not, by any means, mean being a woman of perfection or even success. What it does mean, however, is being a woman of faithfulness - a woman who learns and grows continually, allowing God to work through her in each phase of her spiritual development. Usually the women we see as having it all together see themselves in a very, very different light. They see their failures. They see their "face-plants." borrowing one of Kathi's terms. They see their own struggles and have insight into the attitude of their hearts.

I was over halfway through this book when a couple of other women referred to me as a true Proverbs 31 woman! I honestly was humbled and overwhelmed by the reference. My gut reaction was to say, "Oh, if you only knew!" But, after reading so much of Kathi's journey, I realized that they were seeing glimpses of my Savior in me. That, my friends, is a treasure and a delight.

I know I have far to go. I know I fall on my face so many times. But, thanks to an open and honest woman by the name of Kathi Macias and her willingness to share her journey, I am realizing that becoming a Proverbs 31 woman is not so overwhelming after all. It is simply the journey of becoming the woman God created me to be. It is allowing Him to grow me even when it hurts. It is allowing Him to develop in me the talents and passions He planted there in the first place! Thank you, Kathi!

I very highly recommend this book to any woman ready to laugh, cry, and discover what a real-life Proverbs 31 woman looks like!

I think Kathi's suggestion in the comments is a great one...anyone up for winning a copy of this book? If so, leave a comment between now and midnight CST this Saturday night, July 11. I'm looking forward to reading your comments and to hearing your ideas about this book!

5 comments:

Kathi Macias said...

Wow, Ann, thank you! You make me want to read my own book! Tell you what. Why not offer a drawing for a free copy of my book, picked from those who leave comments on this blog. What do you think? Ladies? Want to jump in? Blessings!

Nancy B said...

Not only do I want to be entered into the drawing competition, but I want to WIN this book. I couldn't pick up my prize until January, but this sounds like a great one to add to my lending library in Jordan. If I don't win, I may have to just get one anyway, since the same "guilt" over failing to be the Proverbs woman must run in the family! (Mom)

Queen Diva said...

This sounds like a WONDERFUL book! I, too, struggle daily with trying to become the Proverbs 31 woman. Ann, I became a Nelson BRB because of you, and was wondering if I would be able to review this one next, but would love to win it instead!! :)

Stephanie Kay said...

What a great review! The pressure to do it all and be all is so intense on us moms these days. It's hard when you read about women (or know them personally) who appear to have it all together. Meanwhile, you know you yelled at your child yesterday, have a pile of laundry a week old to put away, and we won't speak of the science experiment in the fridge!

A friend said something Saturday that has stuck with me all weekend. She is planning to spend some time figuring out what God wants her to do. She knows she can fit in everything HE has planned for her.

Ruthanne said...

Oh, I'm in!

I think all women struggle with this ~ some can just hide it better than others.

Great review!